Smooth and flawless skin is desired by all. However, many are having skin issues such as scars, blemishes, marks left by trauma, acne etc. for all these issues Dermabrasion is the best solution.
Dermabrasion is a surgical procedure to enhance skin texture and appearance. It involves the use of a brush-like instrument mainly made of wire or diamond wheel with coarse edges (called as fraise or burr) to take out the upper layers of the skin.
Minor bleeding and wounding of the skin surface can be experienced as the brush with rough edges spins fast to remove and level (plane) the outer surface of the skin. As the wound heals, the new layer of skin forms by replacing the old damaged skin.
Dermabrasion treatment works on:
- Fine lines
- Acne scars
- Scarring anywhere on the body
- Enlarged nose (Rhinophyma, which is caused by rosacea, a skin condition)
Microdermabrasion Treatment Procedure
- The area is cleaned and marked.
- Local anesthesia (like lidocaine) is given to numb the skin for a pain free procedure.
- Followed by, ice packs that are kept on the skin for nearly 30 minutes.
- In some cases, frozen cryogenic spray is used to firm the skin, if the skin is not hardened by the anesthetic and ice packs.
- Stronger anesthesia, sedation, pain killers or general anesthesia is given for full face or deep abrasion.
- With the help of rotating brush the upper layer of the skin is removed, and if bleeding occurs, then gauze is used to stop the blood flow.
- Followed by ointment and a clean dressing.
The healing time depends on the size and the depth of the area. The smaller area will recover fast than the full face or deep abrasion. Generally, the skin regenerates in 5 to 8 days. The new skin appears to be pinkish or reddish in color, but it becomes lighter within 6 to 12 weeks. Till then, to match with the other part of the skin you can use make-up.
One has to avoid sun exposure after the treatment. Use of sunscreen is a must, as the new skin might get damaged by harsh sun rays. And follow-up with the doctor is a must. He will keep a watch on your recovery process and will check the early signs of infections if any.
Dermabrasion treatment is effective to achieve even and flawless skin texture. The scarred skin appears more uniform after the treatment.
Probable side effects
The side effects, if experienced are short-term and disappear in some time.
- Redness (disappears in 6 to 12 weeks)
- Flare-ups of acne (controlled with ointments and antibiotics)
- Increased sensitivity to sunlight
- Darkening of the skin
Dermabrasion treatment first wounds the skin for regenerating new skin cells. For this, you have to be mentally prepared and have to be tolerant till the complete recovery takes place. Regularly visit your doctor and follow their advice on caring post surgery. This will help you avoid unwanted infection and will also help in fast recovery. It is important to perform this treatment under specialized cosmetologist.
At La Belle, you will get world-class treatment within the minimum cost. It is a complete aesthetic clinic where experts in the area of dermatology and cosmetics help you the get the look you always desired. La Belle is one of the leading aesthetics centers in South India with its branches at Hyderabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Vijayawada and Vizag.
FAQ's – Dermabrasion
Yes, this procedure can be done on other body parts as well. It helps to get rid of any scarring or marks that are present on the body.
The results gained after Dermabrasion is permanent, as there is renewed growth of skin.
No, this procedure is done on an out-patient basis. However, post treatment care is necessary.
Yes, it is totally safe and result oriented procedure.
It entirely depends on the size and depth of the skin to be treated. If the procedure is done for the entire face or the depth is more, then it will take approximately an hour or more.
I highly recommend La Belle which helped me regain my confidence. It was very frustrating and I just could not control eating. The therapeutic approach helped me shed big kilos only in a few months.- Lavanya. R