Increased melanin production in some areas of the skin is called hyperpigmentation, and it is widespread in the Indian skin type. Here is everything you need to know about getting the right pigmentation treatment for an evenly toned glowing face.
How Does Hyperpigmentation Look on the Skin?
Like most skin conditions, hyperpigmentation does not present similarly in everyone. There are varying degrees of intensity, sites of appearance, and so on for hyperpigmentation.
- Age spots: When you have lived your life with sufficient exposure to the elements, the parts of your body that are mostly unshielded from the sun, such as the face, hands, chest, and arms, develop age spots. These are usually in shades of black, brown, or gray, and these flat spots are the most common occurrence of hyperpigmentation.
- Melasma: Most commonly found in women over 40, melasma is a large irregular patch of brown skin typically found at symmetrical areas on the face. It appears as a result of hormonal fluctuation, pregnancy, usage of oral contraceptives, exposure to the sun, or genes. Mostly, it is noted on the forehead, face, and stomach. Menopausal or pre-menopausal individuals or those on hormonal therapy are at a higher risk for melasma.
- Areas with inflammation and injuries: These manifest from the face down after inflammation from pimples, eczema, other procedures, burns, and so on. Sometimes these fade away on their own, depending on the trauma taken. People with dark skin are more prone to developing hyperpigmentation due to injury and inflammation
- Solar lentigines and ephelides: These are spots that develop on the skin that is exposed to UV rays. Whether it is from the sun or a tanning salon, the UV rays trigger the release of chemicals from keratinocytes that stimulate melanin production. When melanin accumulates in the keratinocytes, a darkening of the skin is seen. Usually, fair skin is prone to this type of hyperpigmentation.
What are the Leading Causes of Pigmentation on the Skin?
- Sun exposure: UV rays are the leading cause of pigmentation in people. Especially when the skin is in poor health or left unprotected, exposure to the sun can cause your skin to become dark in uneven patches.
- Inflammation: When the inflammations on the skin are inadequately treated, they tend to leave scars and dark spots on the skin. This insufficient clinical attention is one of the most common reasons why hyperpigmentation is seen in younger individuals.
- Hormonal changes: During the time of menopause or before that, menstruating individuals have a lot of hormonal changes in their bodies. The same goes for expecting parents as well. These individuals are usually at risk of developing hyperpigmentation.
- Drug use: Ingestion of certain drugs like NSAIDs, antipsychotics, tetracyclines, and even heavy metals triggers hyperpigmentation in the body
- Medical conditions: Conditions like Addison’s disease and hemochromatosis act in a way that causes serious cases of hyperpigmentation. As a result, the creases on parts like the lips, knuckles, knees, and elbows become dark in pigmentation. You might not want to assume that dark underarms are symptomatic of hyperpigmentation before consulting your doctor.
What Kind of Skin Pigmentation Treatment Does Labelle Offer?
- Laser Treatment: In case of intense hyperpigmentation, the experts at Labelle recommend laser pigmentation treatment. In this process, laser energy removes dark skin in layers. This is one efficient method to get rid of the accumulated skin pigments. The pigmentation treatment procedure is effective in achieving desirable results, though some people may have side effects such as inflammation, marks, tightened skin, infection, or textural changes.
- Chemical Peels: In this type of hyperpigmentation treatment, the specialist will combine two or more chemical solutions, such as glycolic acid and salicylic acid, to combat stubborn pigmentation. It helps gradually remove the topmost layer of the skin to give you a better skin tone, with the healthier layer under the main one. Here too, temporary irritation can be experienced during the hyperpigmentation treatment process.
- Microdermabrasion This is one of the advanced techniques in pigmentation treatment, and you have two ways to approach this treatment. The final result of both types of microdermabrasion is that the superficial skin cells are physically eroded. In the case of microdermabrasion with crystals, the machine releases crystals from a stick. This stick rubs your skin and scrubs away undesired cells. On the other hand, in diamond-tipped microdermabrasion, the specialist will rub the rough end of the stick against your skin to achieve the same ends. Here, your skin might appear pink post the pigmentation treatment process, but there are no other risks to mention here.
By using sunscreen with the right SPF, maintaining the results of hyperpigmentation treatment will be easy. You only need to pay a little attention to your skincare routine to address dark spots.
Best Hyperpigmentation Treatment for Face
Being one of the top skin clinics in South India for hyperpigmentation treatment, you can trust Labelle to do justice to your skin woes. We have:
- 23+ years of expertise
- World-class specialists for every concern
- Advanced high-end pigmentation treatment equipment
- Highly standardized protocols
- Satisfied customers throughout the country
Having even the faintest blemish on your skin can be a big hit to your confidence. Even though hyperpigmentation is a natural response of the skin to environmental factors, there is no reason why you should suffer through a lifetime of insecurity and self-esteem issues. Schedule an appointment at Labelle to get the best hyperpigmentation treatment for yourself. You will be surprised at the results that we can achieve.